You do not need a letter of referral from your GP to have a consultation.
I consult face to face from lovely facilities at 62 Crocker Street, Newport, Isle of Wight. Alternatively, as long as you are resident in the UK you can elect to have a telephone or video consultation.
An initial consultation lasts up to 30 – 40 minutes. This is to explore your symptoms, how they affect you and to review your past medical history. Once this is complete I can then counsel you as to what lifestyle changes, hormonal and non hormonal treatments might help with your current symptoms and future wellbeing. Sometimes it may be recommended that you have investigations such as a blood test, an ultrasound scan, a DEXA (bone density) scan or possibly onwards referral although all of these are unusual in the course of routine menopause care. The consultation fee includes the option of two emails within two months of the initial consultation. These are intended for queries directly related to the first consultation and early adjustments to the HRT dose. Further emails are chargeable. If you start HRT you should have a follow up consultation after three months. This can be with me or possibly with your GP. A follow up consultation lasts about 20 minutes and is invoiced separately.
Please clink on the link to book an appointment
Following a consultation, with your consent, I will write to your GP and copy the letter to you.
The consultation fee is payable at booking. If you need to cancel more than 48 hours in advance, it is fully refundable. Unfortunately, cancellations within 48 hours are not refundable as I may not be able to fill the appointment and have considerable fixed costs.
Face to face at the Lighthouse Clinic £220
Follow up consultation £140
Emails (when not covered by initial consultation fee) £30
Any prescriptions which I issue are private. The fee you are charged by the pharmacy will reflect the purchase price of the medication and the dispensing fee. Women who are likely to benefit from taking HRT are usually given a private prescription for the first three months. The majority of women subsequently receive the HRT from their GPs on an NHS prescription. Some women continue to have HRT as a private prescription from me. For other prescription medication it may be appropriate to prescribe a shorter course before review.
Cost for a month’s supply of HRT will vary depending on the type of medication prescribed, but is around £14 per item. Testosterone is more expensive at £80 for a tube of cream that will last around 3-4 months.
Most women who consult do not need any investigations however occasionally a blood test, ultrasound or DEXA scan may be suggested. These attract a private fee payable to the provider.
This has necessitated changes in the way clinics are run. In line with all providers, I have had to adapt to the changed circumstances so as to minimise the risk of transmission. If you plan to visit 62 Crocker Street for a face to face consultation please refer to the clinic advice below.
The clinic advises this is what to expect when you visit:
• We ask that you only enter the building if you have an appointment.
• We ask you to enter alone unless you require a person to help you during your consolation.
• You will enter the building through the front entrance.
• Our building has been adapted to be a safe environment, for example, our reception area has a protective transparent screen.
• You will be asked to sanitise your hands with the gel provided.
• You will be asked to wear a face mask (we can provide a mask if you forget to bring your own).
• You will be screened, a quick process where we take your temperature.
• There is a very short health questionnaire to complete.
• We adhere to social distance rules in the waiting areas by controlling patient numbers and placing screens between chairs.
• All clinical staff are Covid 19 trained and will be wearing PPE.
• Any administrative staff that you may see will be wearing masks.
• After your appointment, you will be asked to exit the building through the backdoor to help maintain a safe distance.
Our aim is to keep you and our staff safe whilst we continue to treat patients and hope to put you at ease with the steps that we take for every patient visiting the clinic.